Daryl Smith can help you through the entire process of buying a home, starting with selecting a reputable lender and continuing right through closing – and beyond.
Buying a home is not like buying a car, a mutual fund or other commodity. It can be a life-changing event. Daryl Smith fully understands the real estate process – and just as important, he understands the local market. Of course he knows the right steps to take, but he can also help you avoid a misstep in your home purchase. For example, if a new freeway is going to be built a few blocks away, he’ll probably know it and give you a sense of how it will impact your home value. If you’re unsure about school districts, he’ll be able to direct you to resources to get answers. If you’re unsure of a builder’s reputation, he’ll know how you can confirm it. Daryl Smith also performs another important function: minimizing the emotion involved in a home transaction. You may be in love with a home, but Daryl can point out factors that might not make it right for you. He wants you to plan your exit strategy even before you purchase! He will give you the Big Picture perspective.
Get Pre-approved for a Loan
Daryl can refer you to several well-respected lenders that will give you favorable terms on your future loan. Getting pre-approved for a loan is very important. It tells you what you can afford. It tells the sellers you are negotiating with that you are a valid buyer and puts you in a better position to negotiate. It makes your loan approval process go smooth.
Determine Your Price Range and Area(s) in Which You’re Interested
By now you should have a good idea of how much home you can afford. This helps you narrow down your home search. You should also begin researching the neighborhoods in which you might want to live. Daryl Smith can help.
Decide Which Amenities and Features You Must Have – and Which Ones Would Be Nice but Not Necessary
How many bedrooms and bathrooms do you want? Would you prefer a newer home or an older one with established landscaping? Are hardwood floors a must? Is an updated kitchen important to you? Walk-in closets? Which features would you be willing to give up if you find the otherwise-perfect home?
Begin Testing the Market
Right here on DarylSmith.com, you can find listings that meet your criteria as well as neighborhood information. Identify properties that seem to fit you and your lifestyle, take an afternoon, and go on a driving tour. See what’s available in your price range and explore neighborhoods.
Begin Seriously Looking at Homes with Daryl Smith
Daryl Smith can add to the list of homes you’ve already identified – including ones that have just come on the market. He will look at homes with a critical eye – does the floor plan work for you, is the property in good condition, would it be right for your lifestyle? In short, can you imagine yourself and your family living there? Take notes at each home you visit: what do you like and not like? Narrow down your choices; re-visit homes in which you’re interested; see them at different times of the day.
Make an Offer
When you’ve identified the home you want to buy, Daryl Smith will prepare a written offer for you. Daryl will be familiar with market values and will help you arrive at a price that gives your offer the best chance of being accepted. At this stage, try not to become emotionally attached to a home. Your offer may not be accepted for any number of reasons. Have backup homes in mind. Be prepared to negotiate through Daryl with the sellers.
Once Your Offer Is Accepted:
- You’ll be asked to submit an earnest money deposit that usually isn’t refundable.
- Contact an attorney (if you desire to do so) to review your purchase contract.
- Begin making moving arrangements.
- Have the property professionally inspected. Daryl can suggest reputable inspectors.
- If necessary, request repairs per your purchase agreement terms, Daryl can suggest various repair companies.
- Obtain homeowner’s insurance.Daryl can recommend several options.
- Contact utilities (phone, water, power, etc.). Daryl has a comprehensive list as a resource for you.
- A few days before closing, contact Daryl to schedule a final walk-through.
- Obtain a cashier’s check for the down payment and closing costs. Your lender and title company will inform you of the amount needed.
- Bring your driver’s license for identification
- Make sure the terms and conditions of the loan statement are correct.
- Carefully read everything before you sign.
ENJOY YOUR NEW HOME!